Aim & Objectives for direct work 2013-2015
Aim: To enable vulnerable young women aged 11-25 from Leeds to build confidence, develop new skills and take positive risks in an environment which offers co-operation and support.
1. To plan, facilitate and evaluate long term group work programme for vulnerable young women
-including Young mums group for under 19’s, Fusion support for young women new to the country, 13-16 support group, 16+emotional health group, 11-13 group, Culture group
2. To plan, facilitate and evaluate short term issue based groups in schools and community settings
– including On the Right Track, Keep Sussed and Safe, Girls Talk, parenting, Taste of Culture
3. To offer practical and emotional support for vulnerable young women
– individual support re many issues,
– practical support re housing, employment, college, pregnancy testing, C Card,
– Individual prevention/ early intervention work re child sexual exploitation
4. To offer new opportunities for community development, learning and confidence building
– Including residentials, exchange visits, cultural events, intergeneration work, Arts based work eg Poetry, music, Urban art, photography, projects eg Changing Labels
5. To run physical activity/ adventure education opportunities
– including sports sessions, Zumba, Canoeing, raftbuilding, self defence, street dance, climbing, gym etc .
6. To run excellent quality crèche provision which offers safe, creative, fun activities for under 5’s
7. To offer further opportunities for training, peer education, Voice & Influence
– including Intro to Youth work course, VIP group, peer educators supporting younger girls, workshops, research.
8 To build on current and new fruitful partnerships
9. To monitor and evaluate all work
– Including use of OUTREACH MIS
Our work focuses on three themes – Health and Wellbeing, Cultural Identity/ Diversity and Voice and Influence.
We offer a balance of support, challenge and fun- supporting the most disadvantaged, hard to reach young women to turn their lives around.
Vulnerable young women we support include:
*young mums and young women at risk at early pregnancy
*young women in care and care leavers
*young women who are excluded or struggled with school and college
*young women getting their lives back on track
*young women living in poverty
*Young women who suffer/ witnessed domestic violence
*young women with low self- esteem/ lacking in confidence
*Young women who are NEET